Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Scot Jackson



Today is my sweet man's birthday. I'm so glad that 24 years ago on this day he was born so that I could be blessed by him. He woke up really early this morning and went to run. He's so committed! As he was getting ready for work, he was singing, "Happy birthday to me..." My Scot is so silly. Him and his cute dimples. I asked him if he'd told anyone at work that today is his birthday, but he said he wasn't going to. I'll just spoil him instead. I've got big plans for today!

Anyway, so now I'm going to list just a few of the hundreds of things I love about Scot:

1. Scot can make me laugh more than anyone in the world. Honestly, I don't really know where his humor comes from, but he's always so silly. He makes every day fun and laughable. He's never a downer and always looks to find the positive in things. That can be really helpful because sometimes I'm a Debbie Downer.

2. Scot takes care of me. I remember the first time I realized what a special guy he was. We had been dating only three months and I became horridly ill. I was so sick that I didn't even care that he saw me with my nasty bed hair and no make up face. It was the most sick I'd ever been. My room mate had called him to pick me up at 6:45 in the morning to take me to the doctor. Missing his own class--which if he had had perfect attendance, he wouldn't have had to take the final--he came and carried me down the stairs with a bowl in my hands. I hurled several times in his car and he gladly cleaned my bowl. After being at the doctor all day, he carried me up to my bed and left me a little note saying: "Medicine is in the kitchen, drinks are in the fridge. -- p.s. you're the kind of girl I want to take care of." That's when I knew that I was in love him.

3. Scot is a leader. He always is willing to lead a prayer or singing--even though he's not the world's best tenor ;) At Harding, we went to a devo where there were tons of able guys. Scot would always tell Tim he would lead singing because nobody else was willing. I love this about him. He doesn't care what people think of him, he just wants to serve.

4. Scot is a hopeless romantic. Read the post about Celine. You'll get the picture. Also, he writes poems for me...and they're really good. He sends me text messages all day that give me butterflies all over again. The other day, he asked if he could wash my hair for me! He makes me melt like butter. I constantly feel like we're still dating, which is a good thing.

5. Scot is very generous. Even when our own budget is tight, he never fails to give to those who are in more need. He also never wants anything for himself. He's way more likely to send a check to someone than get the running shoes that he REALLY needs.

6. Scot tries so hard to be better every day. He's constantly wanting to grow closer in our marriage and closer to God. He hates mediocrity. I love that he's making me a better person too. We're perfect for each other.

7. Scot is extremely driven. To get up and run for an hour before work takes someone with a ton of motivation. I can barely get myself to run for five minutes a week. He's the same way when it comes to completing any task that takes a lot of effort. He motivates me in ways that I could never do myself.

8. Scot can really cook. I will be the first to admit that I'm not the best in the kitchen, but Scot is so sweet about it. He really helps me out in this way. He actually loves to cook! Scot makes a mean loaf of turtle bread and is always serving up fun coffee drinks. I don't know what I would do if all he could make was cereal. I am so blessed by someone so talented!

9. Scot is very hospitable. He's always willing to have anyone and everyone over for some home cooked goodies. He doesn't care if our house looks perfect--which I kind of do--but he just loves for people to come over. I'm really glad he sees the benefit of bringing people into your home. I think that's really how to build relationships.

10. Last but certainly not least, Scot never talks badly about people. He's constantly telling me to shut my pie hole. If ever I'm griping about someone, Scot's the first to say, "That's not very sweet." He keeps my big mouth in check. I'm glad that in my struggles, I have a husband that's constantly helping me to be better. He tries to see the good in everyone.

As you see, I have the most precious, special guy around. He's just a true blessing in my life. I love him so much, and my love for him grows even more with each passing day. On this very special day, I just want to let everyone know how great he really is. I love you, Scot!

No comments: